ThermaCELL® Mosquito Repellent uses a unique, patented technology that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has evaluated for safety and effectiveness. It was developed by the Schawbel Corporation and was brought to market in 1999.
Today, ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent products are marketed globally by the Schawbel Corporation for consumer use. The U.S. government also uses ThermaCELL around the world; see a list of government contracts.
How It Works
ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent devices (Mosquito Repellent Lanterns and Mosquito Repellent Appliances) operate on a single butane cartridge. The cartridge heats a repellent mat and releases allethrin. Allethrin is a synthetic copy of the natural repellent pyrethin, found in chrysanthemum flowers.
The repellent creates a virtually odorless cell of protection that is effective against mosquitoes and other biting insects.
The protected area is 15 by 15 feet, or 225 square feet. Protection lasts up to 4 hours per mat or 12 hours per refill kit.
- Effective against mosquitoes, black flies and other flying insects
- Registered with the U.S. EPA
- Creates an invisible cell of protection (15 feet by 15 feet) from biting insects
- Effective alternative to smelly lotions and sprays which must be applied often to skin
- Provides up to 50 times more protection than mosquito coils or citronella candles
- High-energy butane lasts 30 times longer than the energy of alkaline batteries
- Safer and cleaner than candles
- No open flame
- Not applied to skin
- Cordless products are small and fit easily into a bag or backpack for transport
- Repellent mats are easy to carry and replace as needed
- Designed for use in the backyard (gardening, patio entertaining), outdoors (camping, fishing), and hunting
- This area repellent provides a 15 x 15-foot cell of protection, the size of an average deck, patio, or boat
ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent products and refills can be purchased at mass merchants, hardware stores, sporting goods, and outdoors stores.
For store locations in the U.S. and Canada, use the Where to Buy tool on this website (at the top left).
ThermaCELL is also sold in 25 other countries in North America, Europe, Africa, and Australia. To find out where to purchase internationally, visit our Where to Buy - International page.