Scientific testing has been done on the Thermacell® Mosquito Repellent unit for effectiveness against mosquitoes and other biting insects. The following entities carried out field tests on four continents in areas of high infestation:
- The Department of Defense, Armed Forces Pest Management Board in Costa Rica
- The Department of Defense, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Korea
- Hacettepe University – SE Anatolia of Turkey
- Scientific Coordination, Inc., in Maine, USA
Key Findings for Mosquitoes, Sand Flies, and No-See-Ums
- Thermacell Mosquito Repellent is very effective at protecting people from mosquitoes, sand flies, and no-see-ums.
- Protection extends up to 25 feet away from the unit.
- Protection is greatest 7.5 feet away from the unit (15 feet in diameter) and the unit is 95 to 98% effective at this distance.
Key Findings for Black Flies
- Thermacell Mosquito Repellent also works remarkably well against black flies.
- Protection is greatest 3.75 feet away from the unit, where 79% protection was provided.
- The test conducted by Scientific Coordination in Maine was done under windy conditions.
- The report states that in no-wind conditions, the protection level would most likely have been higher.
Specific Findings from Field Tests
- The Department of Defense, Costa Rica
- “…96.7% of protection from mosquito attack, and 95.8% from culicoides attack in the Brenon area of Costa Rica.”
- The Department of Defense, Korea
- “Thus, the area repellent systems gave 98.6% protection from mosquito attack in the military bunkers.”
- Hacettepe University, Turkey
- “These results indicated that reduction in sand fly and mosquito biting rates in treated groups ranged from 87.5 to 97.7%.
Complete test data is available. Email your request to email@example.com.